Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Crossing paths with a Grammar Nazi


It is such a funny thing that I came across a Grammar Nazi..

I am not writing this blog to condemn him nor attack him. I just find it funny and interesting for some one to correct my grammar (OMG I feel like a student again! LOL "I aint purrrfect" if I say this in Ebonics. But thanks anyways.. LOL).

So what is a Grammar Nazi?

According to Urban Dictionary:

A captious individual who cannot resist the urge to correct a spelling and/or grammar mistake even in informal settings. After pointing out the linguistic shortcomings in others, a Grammar Nazi feels a strange sense of twisted and unconstructive intelligentsia delight.

In reality, they are making someone else feel bad for no reason and unintentionally implying that their "superior" grammar skills are all they have to show for a wasted liberal arts education.

While proper grammar usage is all well and good, a Grammar Nazi cavils even insignificant errors in English to somehow win an argument. Of course, rather than being genuinely persuasive in an argument, pointing out English errors is a weak attack only on the typist's credibility and never has any bearing on the underlying premises and assertions therein.

In other words, this is simply a disguised ad hominem argument which intelligent and logical people disregard.

Still, one should strive to spell and use words properly, but arrogant and unsolicited advice is not a very persuasive way to teach English.

A person who criticizes someone else's grammar, spelling, and/or punctuation, usually in an online setting. While they are often seen as uptight assholes who really need to get a life, it should be noted that they point out simple flaws that often show a lack of intelligence on the part of the person being criticized.

For the person who attacked me regarding my grammar, ummm thank you? lol I really don't mind people correcting my grammar and I don't take it seriously (come on! some of us do this too). I am not insunuating that being a Grammar Nazi is bad. It is both positive and negative. Positive because it enforces people to use the "Proper Grammar". It is also Negative, other people might perceive it as a sign or arrogance and belittlement to others. You would just know it if a/the GN is belittling you or just reminding you.

But when I see the word Nazi shakens me. Reminds me of racism, discrimination, and arrogance (Irkkkk!!! Blechk! ).



TTYL

xoxo

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: