Sunday, January 4, 2009

The Seven Deadly Sins: envy

{{Potd/2006-09-13 (en)}}Image via WikipediEnvy Envy (also called invidiousness) may be defined as an emotion that "occurs when a person lacks superior quality, achievement, or possession and either desires it or wishes that the other lacked it."

According to Bertrand Russell, envy is the potent cause of unhappiness. Bertrand considers it as a universal and most unfortunate aspect of human anture, not because that the envious person is rendered unhappy by his envy, but also wishes to inflict misfortunes on others.

Punishment in Hell: put in freezing water
Animal: Dog
Color: Green

Demon: Leviathan

Putting some thought into this, what B.Russell states is quite true. When envy gets the better part of a person, everything seems to be darkened. Before, we had a neighbor who was so envious on the material things that our other neighbor has. They just started copying everything, from the car that the other neighbor drives to the food that the other neighbor eats. I feel sad for those people.

I don't know what they are thinking but my conclusion is that they thought Neighbor COOL is trying to undermine them which is not true. It is like ... social climbing (sorry I am not a social climber nor a pretentious bitch but I am just social.. lol, I am very contented with what I have, thank you very much.. ).

And the more envious a person gets, I also noticed that they become more arrogant. I remember one time when I went to **** house. His family were airheads and keep on babbling about "I sacrificed my blah blah just to raise him.." (in the vernacular as well). Then one of **** cousin asked me if I wanted something to drink. Being blunt and straight forward, I told her that I wanted to drink a glass of water. I can read that all over their faces that they were pissed off with me. They later told on MsPinkBiik that I kept on speaking in English.. I was like ''Puhlease!!!" One of my close friends is Hungarian, there are some FIL-Ams as well as koreans. Most of them does not speak in the vernacular and I got the hang of speaking in English. Other than that, my school does not allow us to speak in Vernacular at some certain times.

I love the filipino language (my native language! ) but I really get tongue tied at a center point when I speak it.

Being envious, leads you to think of nasty things. It is like thinking about negative competition to your neighbor which unhealthy for the soul..

I do not see anything negative on being a bit envious of somethings to get you motivated to go to your goal.

xoxo




Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

Twilight Zone said...

sigh, ako talagang inggit na inggit kay Angelina Jolie kasi ang ganda nya hahahaha.
well sabi nga ng aking mader pinakamasamang kumapit sa tao ay ang pagiging maiinggitin dahil lason na nakamamatay.
kung anung meron ako masaya nako, kumpleto bahagi ng katawan, kumakain sa oras, my inang dakila at my cute na anak hahahaha.