Sunday, January 4, 2009

The Seven Deadly Sins: wrath

The Great Day of His Wrath, oil on canvas, 197...Image via WikipediaAnger is an emotional state that may range from minor irritation to intense rage.

CANTO VII
Into the marshland that is called the Styx
Flows this sad stream after running downward
To the base of these ruinous gray slopes.

And I, standing there to stare intently,
110 Saw in that morass people smeared with mud,
All naked, their faces lined with rage.

They beat each other not just with their hands
But even with their heads and chest and feet
And with their teeth ripped each other to pieces
............

115 My own good master said, "Son, now you see
The souls of those whom anger overpowered.
I also want you to accept for certain

"That under the water there are people sighing
Who make the surface of the water bubble,
120 As your eye tells you whichever way it turns."

Mired in slime, they moan, "We were morose
In the sweet air made cheerful by the sun;
We bore within ourselves the torpid vapors:

"Now morbid we are made in this black mud."
125 This canticle they gurgle in their gullets
Since they can’t sound it with full syllables.

So we walked around the wide curving rim
Of that foul pool, between dry bank and bog,
With our eyes turned to those who swallow slime.


CANTO VIII
As soon as my guide and I embarked,
The ancient prow pushed off, ploughing down
30 Water more deeply than it does with others.

While we rode over the dead channel
Before me rose a figure smeared with mud
Who asked, "Who are you come before your time?"

And I told him, "I come, but do not stay.
35 But who are you who are made so ugly?"
He answered, "You see that I am one who weeps."

And I told him, "In weeping and in mourning,
Accursed spirit, there may you remain,
For, filthy as you are, I recognize you."

40 Then he stretched both his hands out to the boat.
At that my ready master shoved him off,
Saying, "Get away, with the other dogs!"

My guide then put his arms around my neck,
Kissed me, and said, "Soul of indignation,
45 Blessed is the woman who gave you birth!

"In the world he was a man of arrogance;
Nothing good bedecks his memory:
For that, his shade down here is furious.

"How many up there now think themselves kings
50 Who here shall wallow in the mud like pigs,
Bequeathing only loathsome disrepute."

And I said, "Master, eagerly would I like
To see that spirit soused within this soup
Before we take our leave of this morass."

55 And he told me, "Before the future shore
Comes into view, you shall be satisfied,
For it is right that your wish be fulfilled."

Shortly afterward I saw such a tearing
Of that shade by the slimy people there
60 That still I praise and thank God for it.

All shouted, "Get Filippo Argenti!"
And then the frenzied Florentine spirit
Turned on himself his own biting teeth.

We left him there; I tell no more about him.
65 But wailing, then, so pounded on my ear
That I intently strained my eyes ahead.

The kindly master said, "Now, my dear son,
The city known as Dis approaches near
With its grave citizens and mighty hosts."

Anger
Punishment in hell: dismembered alive
Animal:Bear
color: Red

Demon: Fezek or Satan


according to Joseph Delaney

(1914) Anger is defined as "the desire of vengeance" and states that a reasonable vengeance and passion is ethical and praiseworthy. Vengeance is sinful when it exceeds its limits in which case it becomes opposed to justice and charity. For example, "vengeance upon one who has not deserved it, or to a greater extent than it has been deserved, or in conflict with the dispositions of law, or from an improper motive" are all sinful. An unduly vehement vengeance is considered a venial sin unless it seriously goes counter to the love of God or of one's neighbor.


according to Buddhism;

"In general teaches that anger is a destructive emotion and although anger might have some positive effects in terms of survival or moral outrage, I do not accept that anger of any kind as a virtuous emotion nor aggression as constructive behavior. The Gautama Buddha has taught that there are three basic kleshas at the root of samsara (bondage, illusion) and the vicious cycle of rebirth. These are greed, hatred, and delusion--also translatable as attachment, anger, and ignorance. They bring us confusion and misery rather than peace, happiness, and fulfillment. It is in our own self-interest to purify and transform them."


I believe that anger is an emotional state that everyone can control. Why? For anger, there are these things called the "triggers" that flames a person's wrath. Before, I was the type of person who really had a short temper. Then, I started contemplating like "Why get mad on such small matters?". The more a person gets mad, the more life is stressful. Think of this, why have a hard time seeking vengeance on some one who is not worth your time? Just be happy and learn from those trivial matters that triggered your anger. Seek for guidance from a counselor or voice it out or have an outlet to wave of your anger,

You don't want those fine lines across your face right? =)

xoxo


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: